Students of the Year Indianapolis
Karina Bohyer | Karina Bohyer's Campaign Team
Hello! My name is Karina Bohyer and I am honored to participate in the 2019 Students of the Year (SOY) Campaign for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society (LLS).
In this seven-week campaign, select high school students from around the country participate in a fundraising competition. I am a sophomore at Park Tudor High School in Indianapolis and I am competing with 21 other candidates in my area to raise the most funds for blood cancer research. As a group, we hope to raise $500,000 this year! (Last year, in the Indianapolis area, 9 students raised $380,000).
WHY AM I DOING THIS? I love to help people. My goal is to raise awareness about cancer in my community and to be part of the LLS mission to find cures for cancers. Students of the Year allows me to use my efforts to help many people on a broad scale. Watch my video above (less than 3 min)!
WHY SHOULD YOU HELP? Even if you do not have a personal connection to someone with a blood cancer, research on blood cancers result in the discovery of cancer treatments which can be used to treat many other cancers (e.g. breast, lung, ovarian, prostate, thyroid, liver and more).
Blood is both easier to access and easier to test compared to solid tumors. Therefore, many treatments are first discovered with blood cancer research. Your donation will have a significant impact on our journey to a world without cancers.
WHAT HAS LLS ACCOMPLISHED? LLS’s mission has three pillars:
1. Research: Through the funds raised from its campaigns, LLS supports research of blood cancers. Since its founding in 1949, LLS has invested $1.2 billion in research. One example of an incredible outcome: The survival rate for Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (ALL), one of the most common childhood cancers, has increased from 5% to 90%!
2. Advocacy: LLS advocates on a state and federal level: They have chapters in 43 states and they are actively working on launching chapters in the remaining states
3. Patient Education: LLS educates and supports patients through the Information Resource Center (IRC). The IRC provides financial and emotional support, clinical trial searches, podcasts, peer to peer connections, personalized nutrition consults, webcasts, booklets, and much more. Not only does it provide this incredible information but it also provides it in over 170 languages!
CAN YOU DONATE OVER $1,000? Consider a sponsorship: Sponsors receive benefits including tickets to the March 16th Grande Finale. Click here for the Sponsorship Form I would be happy to meet with you in person or schedule a call to discuss further (please contact me at email@example.com).
ARE THERE OTHER WAYS I CAN CONTRIBUTE? Yes!
No matter how much you donate, do not forget to inquire about an Employer Matching Gift program!
1. Consider an advertisement for your business to be included in the Grand Finale program book at the Gala Click here for Advertisements
2. Donate an auction item (e.g. sports tickets, gift cards, time at a vacation home etc.) which will be used for the Silent Auction at the Grand Finale Click here for Auction Items
3. If you would like to support me at the Grand Finale on Saturday, March 16 at The Crane Bay Event Center in Indianapolis, please Click here to purchase Grand Finale tickets
4. Check for special events on my website: Bring your family for dinner between 5-9pm on Saturday, February 23rd to the Chipotle in Broad Ripple (1002 Broad Ripple Ave, Indianapolis). Mention my name and LLS when you purchase your dinner. The proceeds will go to my campaign. I would love to see you there!
HOW AM I DOING THIS? I am leading a Campaign Team of eight adults and three students who are helping me with my fundraiser. I am asking local businesses, corporations and individuals to sponsor, organizing dine-to-donate events, using social media and reaching out to my network and community in person, electronically and via mail for general donations.
WHAT % OF MY DONATION SUPPORTS THE LLS MISSION? 79.5%. All donations are tax-deductible
Every dollar counts! All donations are appreciated. Please visit our website often and feel free to share the video and the link to this website with your friends and family on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, email, and more! On behalf of blood cancer patients everywhere, thank you for your support!
For more information about LLS, please visit www.lls.org.